How to end a relationship with children and jointly owned property?

UPDATED: Dec 19, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 19, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to end a relationship with children and jointly owned property?

I have lived with someone for over 10 years and want to get out of it. I do not recognize myself as “common law married” in any form and haven’t for years. We have a home (I put the down payment) and both names are on it. I’d like to keep the house but he won’t leave, so I’m willing to give up the house if I could get my name off it. We have 2 children and I am willing to have joint custody. I would not need child support but want him to pay for 1/2 of daycare. In CO, do I need to go through the courts to break up?

Asked on December 19, 2011 under Family Law, Colorado


Hong Shen / Roberts Law Group

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

This may still be considered a common law marriage in CO. There are factors to determine whether it is, such as whether you file joint tax return, whether you held out as husband and wife, whether other people know you as husband and wife, cohabitance, joint accounts, etc. You should consult a local attorney to find out details. Since there are kids involved, you should consider filing a divorce and getting child support.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption