What can I do about vandalism to my property due to the condition of a neighboring properties?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do about vandalism to my property due to the condition of a neighboring properties?

I own a condo in a complex of 8 condos. My condo is next door to a empty apartment complex and the owner isn’t taking care of the place; we get squatters. The same owner has 3 separate apartment complexes on the same street all in a row and all empty. I want to know my rights because I’m next door and I’ve had my condo broke into. I lost took everything I own. My gargage broken into, as well as my car and there was a fire on the side of my condo where my fence was torn down. I want to know can I take this owner to court for my losses? He is well known for having a lot of money, so I don’t understand why the apartments are the way they are.

Asked on March 28, 2016 under Real Estate Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If you can prove by a "preponderance of the evidence", such as security camera footage, police & arrest reports, the disposition of any criminal cases, etc. that the damage was done by the other owner's squatters, you can likely recover your losses from him in a lawsuit, since it would be negligent, or unreasonably careless, for a building owner to not maintain his property and allow it to be used by squatters and criminals. The issue is showing with some evidence that the problems came from his units; it's not enough that it's logical that was the source, but rather you have to have proof.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption