Employment contract

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Employment contract

I had signed a contract with my employer and the contract stated that I had to commit to work for 18 months once start the work assignment or else I have to pay the amount mentioned on the contract. But I have not yet started working and has not signed the offer letter. I want to come out of this contract, but the employer is forcing me to pay the amount. Please suggest me how I can come out of this situation.

Thanks for the help

Asked on November 11, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Generally, a contract of any kind (including an employemnt contract) starts or become enforceable on the date it is signed, unless there is a different "start" date listed in the contract itself, in which case it is that date. So if this contract did not list a different beginning date, it would take effect the monement you signed it. The offer letter (and the fact that you did not sign that) is irrelevant unless the contract makes signing the offer letter a condition of the contract taking effect; if not, however, only the contract itself (whic you evidently signed), not the offer letter,  matters. It also does not matter that you did not start work yet, again, unless the terms of the contract make actually starting a material, or important factor; otherwise, again, all that matters is that you signed the contract and so became bound to it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption