If you tell your employer that you feel unsafe in a working environment what are they obligated to do?

UPDATED: Mar 6, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 6, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If you tell your employer that you feel unsafe in a working environment what are they obligated to do?

This is more of a personal safety question rather than workplace hazards. I work in a public building and was threatened with bodily harm or death by a patron. After the second incident police were notified and we were told unless said patron attacked me there was nothing to be don In repeating what the officers said, I reminded administration that physical attacks have occurred and my safety was in jeopardy. If I do get attacked, what action can I pursue?

Asked on March 6, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you are attacked and you can show that the attack happened due to the unreasonable carelessness (negligence) of  your employer in refusing to address threats which any reasonable person would have addressed, you may have a cause of action. Examples of this would be not having any security at the entranceway, if such is appropriate for a building/office/workplace/etc. of your type in this area; allowing a patron who has made threats against you to continue frequenting the workplace.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption