What amounts can an employer deduct froma final paycheck?

UPDATED: Dec 14, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 14, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What amounts can an employer deduct froma final paycheck?

I have just resigned from my current job giving a 2 week notice. My employer claims that because I have been there for less than 6 months, she will deduct all the expenses of hiring me from my check (for example the drug test and orientation). Is this legal? In GA.

Asked on December 14, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

1) First, you would only owe these costs if a) there was an agreement (such as an employment contract or offer letter) stating you would repay them if you left under certain circumstances, or *possibly* if it could be shown that you lied in some material way in order to be hired (e.g. you lied about your education or credentials).

2) Second, even if you owed  these costs, the employer could not take them out of your paycheck without your agreement; their option, if you owe the money and do not voluntarily pay it, would be to sue you for the money.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption