What to do if employer made a mistake on an agreed upon hourly rate?

UPDATED: Mar 3, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 3, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if employer made a mistake on an agreed upon hourly rate?

Recently, I obtained employment through a contracting agency to work onsite at a large investment bank. When I signed the employment papers the stated rate was $22.25 an hour. My hectic schedule didn’t allow me to check my paycheck but after 2 months had elapsed I had discovered they were only paying me $20 an hour. I emailed an HR representative and was informed by her that the actual rate was $20 and that they had made an error. In normal situations I would not be upset but I had left my job previously in thoughts I got a raise but in actuality got a drop in pay. I work part-time and don’t want to burn bridges but upset and need to consider my options.

Asked on March 3, 2013 under Employment Labor Law, Utah


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you have a meeting with the HR representative to see what you can do to resolve the matter. If the matter is not resolved to your satisfaction then your legal recourse is to male a claim with your local Department of Labor for the shortfall in payment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption