employer making me pay 46 dollars before returning to work

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

employer making me pay 46 dollars before returning to work

at McDonald’s we all share registers
especially mangers in our drawers. an
employee’s drawer came up short and I’m
being made to pay entire amount of her
drawer shortage. this is in nc. is it

Asked on May 19, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

It is not morally right, but it is legal unless you have a written employment contract guarantying you employment. Without a contract, all employment is "employment at will": you may be terminated (or suspended) at any time, for any reason, including that your employer believes that you took (or allowed to be lost) $46. The employer does not need to prove this; there is no due process right at work. Therefore, the employer may legally tell you that you cannot work without paying that money; you can then choose between paying or seeking other employment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption