Employer garnished last check for AR account

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Employer garnished last check for AR account

I was working for an auto dealership for awhile and was able to purchase personal parts for my vehicle through the parts department. I was never given a receipt for the purchases, the parts person would bill it to a AR account and if not paid within the month, the payroll dept wold take it from the following paycheck. On the paystub it would say AR with the amount in the deductions column. My employment ended unexpectedly due to issues outside the work place and when mailed my last check, it was printed on bright green paper and for the first time contained my SS with my full name and address. It was for Zero Dollars and No Cents. Payroll had paid my standard deductions and applied the remaining amount entirely to the AR deduction line. Is this legal in WI? When I asked for a balance, I was given a figure they had recorded. As I said, I never was issued receipts for my purchases. In addition, the employer has kept a work station I paid for and built with permission to allow additional space for my larger repairs. I asked to pick it up and was told that I had to satisfy the AR balance first. I had never been treated that way and find it legally questionable.

Asked on January 31, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, Wisconsin


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

1) If the agreement between you and your employer, even if an unwritten agreement, was that parts would be paid by taking it from your paycheck, as apparently the agreement was, then they could take the remaining balance from your last check: doing so would be in keeping with the agreement. Obviously, they could only take out what you actually owed. That they did not issue receipts does not invalidate this, since you could have a kept a record of what parts you took and their cost. If you believe (and believe you could prove) that they took too much out, you could sue them for the return of any excess amount, such as in small claims court.
2) As to the work station: if you paid for it, it is yours. If they won't return it, you could sue them for its return or for its monetary value.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption