Employee Threat

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Employee Threat

I work for a local hospital who has a zero tolerance policy in place. Last week I was verbally threatened by a fellow co-worker. I followed procedure e-mailed by immediate supervisor and her supervisor filed a violence incident report with the hospital and the 2 security guards on duty submitted reports collaborating the incident. The co-worker who made the threat mom works at the hospital and is close friends with our supervisor. I was told by the hospital HR that the incident was being investigated, but as of today no one has contacted me concerning the incident. Do I have any legal recourse to pursue this matter? If so, what type of attorney should I seek?

Asked on December 5, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Louisiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You can't force the hospital to do anything: the hospital is not the police, and it's not their punish those who make threats. What you can do is report the threat to the police: depending on the nature of the threat (e.g. was it a threat of physical violance), many threats are criminal acts or at least disorderly persons conduct.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption