What to do about an emailed Will?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about an emailed Will?

A family friend who has been in the family for 20 years passed away. He emailed me his wishes, and he estate. I’m not sure what to do now.

Asked on July 2, 2017 under Estate Planning, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

A will is only valid if properly witnessed and signed. In New Jersey, that means that it must have been signed by the testator (person making the will) in the presence of two witnesses, who each also sign it in the presence of each other. If properly signed and witnessed, the will is enforceable: contact the probate court in the county in which your friend lived for instructions. If the alleged "will" was not properly signed and witnessed, however, it is not valid and will not be enforced, so an unsigned or unwitnessed emailed set of wishes has no power or effect. In this case, any assets of the deceased will pass according to the rules for "intestate succession," or who gets what when there is no will.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption