What to do if my ex-husband hacked into my e-mail account and sent it out illegally?

UPDATED: Mar 22, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 22, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my ex-husband hacked into my e-mail account and sent it out illegally?

My email was just read by my ex husband and then sent to my fiancee. He did this without my permission. I’m not even sure how he got into it since we’ve been divorced for 6 years and live in separate areas with little to no contact. I want to bring up charges against him, since I feel this is a complete invasion of my privacy. Do I need to contact an attorney first? And, if so, what ind of attorney?

Asked on March 22, 2012 under Criminal Law, Florida


Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You first have to report the incident to the police for them to determine if there is probable cause that a crime was committed by your husband. If so, then the police will then pass this information on to the prosecutor to determine if criminal charges will actually be filed against your ex-husband in this matter. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption