What can be done regarding elderly neglect?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can be done regarding elderly neglect?

My father is 79 with severe dementia; his wife is his caretaker. For the last 5 months he has not been bathed, his diaper is only changed a few times a day, as well as the entire house smells of human waste. She is always on the couch watching TV. He gets no exercise and as a diabetic he has an improper diet. Social Services has come in and is aware of the entire situation, including his violence. I would like to know what can be done.

Asked on December 10, 2018 under Personal Injury, Maryland


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Other than reporting to the appropriate govenment agency(ies), there really is nothing you can effectively do.  You say that you have contacted social services--by that, do you mean that you have contacted Adult Protective Services? If you haven't contact them yet, do so: http://dhr.maryland.gov/office-of-adult-services/adult-protective-services/

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption