Edward Johnson

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Edward Johnson

I live in state of Maryland. My mother in law recently passed away. Yesterday we received a letter from a well known credit card company asking for the person in charge of her mother’s estate to contact them. Having taken care of her, we know that there were no monthly statements or notices or any such thing like that. My wife is wondering if she should contact them or not.

Asked on June 7, 2016 under Estate Planning, Maryland


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Don't give them that information yet, but whomever it was addressed to (since they know about that person already) should just contact them and inquire what this about. If they won't tell you, just say that you can't pass the message on if you don't know what it's about. If they do tell and it seem legitimate (e.g. maybe she did have a credit card debt you did not know of), you can pass on to the personal representative to respond. If not legitimate-seeming, politely say goodbye. Since there is a chance its legitimate, that's why you don't want to automatically ignore it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption