UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption


neighbor and i both own raw land next to each other. I get to mine through his easement which is rough and can only get a 4 wheel drive in. He is not willing to fix his road and knows Ive been filling holes etc. I even offered to pay half. He has a large pile of gravel that I offered to spread out but said no. he doesn’t visit the property at all, only owns it and I don’t want to continue putting my money into a road that is adding value to his property. I have an easement that continues through my property and already paying to keep it up. What kind of laws are out there for people who do not maintain and easement for others to use? this is in Washington State

Asked on July 24, 2019 under Real Estate Law, Washington


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

He has no obligation to maintain the easement for you. The easement gives you the right to access or traverse his land, but it does not make him your "landlord" who has to keep it up because you are paying him for the purpose. The easement is for your benefit, not his; he is not under an obligation to spend  any money at all on it. He also does not need to let you lay gravel on (i.e. make a change to) his property. Again, your only right is to access his land, and his only obligation is to allow you to do so.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption