DUS/ FRA NON-COMPLIANCE; community service hours not completed; warrant out for arrest

UPDATED: Jun 9, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 9, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

DUS/ FRA NON-COMPLIANCE; community service hours not completed; warrant out for arrest

I got pulled over for speeding & then learned that my license was suspended.This was due to not showing proof of insurance at time of accident, that i had a year prior. i ended up getting 27 jail days suspended & 30 hrs of community service. i didnt complete the hours before the deadline. i filed a motion for an extension before the deadline was up, stating my reasons why (job hours, childcare issues) i didnt complete the hrs but the judge denied the motion. So I now have a warrant out for my arrest. i need to know what to do so that I dont have to serve any jail time, as i will lose my job

Asked on June 9, 2009 under Accident Law, Ohio


M.S., Member, Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

You should consult with and/or retain a criminal defense attorney at your earliest convenience.  If you have a warrant out for your arrest, it is really only a matter of time before you get picked up.  Moreover, although it is not clear from your question, you may have picked up additional charges, such as a failure to appear, when your community service was not successfully completed.  Therefore, if you get picked up rather than turning yourself in, it is much more likely that you will either have a high bond set, or serve time, or both.  My recommendation is to consult with a criminal defense attorney to determine 1) if you have new charges, and 2) whether it is possible to either re-open the denied motion for extension of time or negotiate a new plea/sentence with the prosecutor.  While serving some period of incarceration may be unavoidable at this point, it will almost certainly happen if you do not consult with and/or retain a skilled criminal defense attorney prior to your presentment on your outstanding warrant.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption