What to do if during what was supposed to be a routine root canal, my dentist broke a needle deep in my tooth?

UPDATED: Sep 20, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 20, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if during what was supposed to be a routine root canal, my dentist broke a needle deep in my tooth?

I now have to go to a specialist. While he said he will pay for that, what are my options to either recoup money already paid, get balanced forgiven or more (such as pain and suffering)?

Asked on September 20, 2014 under Malpractice Law, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

First, your dentist would only be liable if he were negligent, or unreasonably careless, which he well have been; however, bear in mind that if he did everything right and it was not his fault that the needle broke (e.g. the needle was defective), the dentist is not liable (though possibly the manufacturer would be).

Second, if you don't like what the dentist is offering, you'd have to sue him to get more. However, bear in mind (1) that as stated above, it's not a given you'd win--you'd have to prove fault or negligence; and 2) malpractice cases are *expensive* to bring--you'd need to hire a dental medical expert (like another dentist) to examine you and provide a report and testimony. It's possible you could spend more on the case then you'd get (see below).

Third, in terms of what you might be entitled to:

a) You could  get the additional medical costs caused by the negligence (if there was negligence)--so what the dentist is offering to pay, which is the cost of the specialist. You can only get your out-of-pocket (not paid by insurance) costs.

b) You can't get back the cost of the procedure  the dentist did.

c) IF you suffer significant life impairment lasting for weeks or months (or longer) you may get pain and suffering; but without significant impairment of life lasting at least weeks, it's not worth trying to get this--you likely would not get anything for pain and sufferiing, or at most get a de minimis amount.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption