Domestic Violence. Will I be able to live back at my place of residence?

UPDATED: Jul 6, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 6, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Domestic Violence. Will I be able to live back at my place of residence?

I do appreciate your ansers on my last question and will need to consult with an attorney. She is chargG with DV , let’s say i wil be going to court at a set time and date. Her and I are the owners of the house we live. She and I are on title and on the loan. She has not brought in any money since we bought the house. She has been trying to kick start her clothing business. Can I still come to live at my place? She still lives here alos. Will the judge usually say something otherwise? Should i huryy and try to find elsewhere to live? She said she would drop charges if I move out. Is that Fair?

Asked on July 6, 2009 under Criminal Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I believe based on your last post that this is your second time being charged with Domestic Violence, therefore this incident will be considered to be a repeat offense and treated as such.  On that basis the judge will probably issue a "Stay Away Order" from the victim (your wife); this will include moving out from the residence.  Additionally, if this is a second offense it will more than likely be charged as a felony.  You need to seek legal representation ASAP.  Quite frankly, even if for some reason the stay away order is not issued,  you should consider moving out and not going near her.  You don't want to put yourself in a situation for a potential third offense.  

As for the house, if her name is on the deed than she is a legal owner whether or not that she as brought in any money to help pay for it.  Absent unusual circumstances, it is considered community property and will be treated as such if either one of you files for divorce.   

But what you must first be concerned about here are the criminal charges.  In cases of spousal abuse, the victim cannot drop charges against the abuser. The Prosecutor is the only one who can drop charges because the victim is merely a witness in a government prosecution.  The Prosecutor can proceed with the criminal case even if the alleged victim decides not to go to court.

Again, I urge you to see a criminal attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption