Domestic violence charge

UPDATED: Jun 12, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 12, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Domestic violence charge

I called the cops on my boyfriend who hit me in the face with a household garbage can.  I later confessed to the victim’s prosecutor that I threw a fan, an ashtray, and threatened to hit him with a bong. What are the chances they will still prosecute him? Would they charge me instead? What can I do to get the no contact order dropped?

Asked on June 12, 2009 under Criminal Law, Washington


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I think you need to talk to a lawyer in your area who handles domestic violence cases.  It sounds like you're on some thin ice, here, and not only the possible differences in your state's law (where I don't practice), but sometimes the judge's attitudes, can affect the outcome.  Even more importantly, you lawyer needs to know all of the details of what happened -- especially, sometimes, the more embarassing ones -- to be properly prepared to represent you in court and give you reliable advice.

I think you need to be in extreme damage control mode right now, and talk to a lawyer before you do or say anything else about this, to anyone.  One place you can find an attorney is our website,

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption