What to do regarding a domestic violence case?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do regarding a domestic violence case?

The other day me and my wife got into an argument. She was basically accusing me of talking to another female because of a good morning text. So I kept trying to talk to her to get her to believe that im really not cheating and it led to her and I pushing eachother around and I have a small minor scratch under my neck from her grabbing my neck. Well, the next day, I went to her to try once again to talk to her about the situation and she didn’t want to talk and she yelled and said that she was going to have sex with someone else and as soon as she said that I lost it and grabbed her by her neck and pushed her and she was hitting me back and then she slashed 3 of my car tires and threw a brick through my windshield but I broke her phone along with a few of her other things. She called the cops and they said that she was the primary aggressor and arrested her and they left and didn’t tell me anything after all of if was done, even though I don’t want any charges bought against her since we both were in the wrong. I put my hands on her just as well as she put them on me and I broke her personal belongings just as she broke mine. We really don’t want to go through all of this because we know we were both in the wrong. Can I get some help and advice on this please?

Asked on December 3, 2017 under Criminal Law, Virginia


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You really should consult with a criminal law attorney ASAP. If you admitted to hitting your wife, you really need to have legal counsel. Charges could still be brought against you. And whatever you do, don't speak with the police again. You are under no legal obligation to do so, even if they come to your house. As for your wife's sitution, she also needs immediate representation, if she has not already retained an attorney. Further, even if you do not want to proceed with the case against her, that's not your call. Only the state can bring charges so only the state can drop them. If there is sufficient enough evidence to move the case forward without your cooperation, the charges will not be dismissesd. Again, consult with a local lawyer. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption