Does your employer have to show you your rate of pay on your check?

UPDATED: Jul 20, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 20, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Does your employer have to show you your rate of pay on your check?

Especially when you are working scale and private jobs? From January to July I never was told what my hourly rate was and I was supposed to be making journeymen wages in AK. I have most if not all my stubs.

Asked on July 20, 2010 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, it does not appear that FL requires companies to even provide pay stubs, which means that there is no requirement that the company provide information as to the rate of pay. Similarly, the federal wage and hour laws and department of labor do not require pay stubs or that this information be provided to employees, either. If you check or stubs do indicate your gross wages, however, it should be fairly easy to calculate you rate of pay if you know your hours. Similarly, it is possible that you could calculate or determine it from some of the tax forms or tax information that have to be provided to you, such as the W-2. And, of course, if you have not done so already, you can ask your employer what rate you are being paid at.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption