Does worker’s comp cover MRSA?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Does worker’s comp cover MRSA?

I work as a lifeguard, part of my job
duties are to clean locker rooms and
bathrooms. I recently caught MRSA and
my doctor stated it was work related.
My own insurance won’t cover me Because
they say it’s work related but my
manager claims I can’t prove I
contracted it from work and says I
don’t have a claim.

Asked on June 24, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, California


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You should obtain the medical report from your doctor stating that contracting MRSA was work-related.  That medical report should resolve the issue and refute your manager's claims that you can't prove MRSA was work-related.
Since those above the manager have allowed you to file a workers' compensation claim, you should proceed with the claim and bypass the manager.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption