What to do about an oldloan that I am being threatened about?

UPDATED: Dec 2, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 2, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about an oldloan that I am being threatened about?

A lawyer from a law firm called me today and said, “Criminal charges are in the process of being filed against you for a loan”. He went on to say that he was giving me a courtesy call before the county sheriffs are asked to step in. If I do not comply I will be charged also for committing fraud of a bounced check from 4 years ago. What is the procedure with this and what’s the worse that can happen?

Asked on December 2, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

First, for an attorney to threaten a criminal action against you to gain an advantage over you in a civil matter that is an ethical violation under the requirements of all state bar associations in this country for a lawyer to do. I suspect that the call was not from an attorney. If it was from a third party debt collection company, the call would seem to be an unfair debt collection practice in your state and under federal law.

Second, the loan and the bounced check claim may be barred by your state's applicable statute of limitations if the incident forming the basis of the claim happened more than 4 years ago and no lawsuit was filed.

I suggest that you make a state bar complaint against the "attorney" who called and threatened you. I would wait and see what happens. If you are actually served with a summmons and complaint, you should consult with an attorney who practices general civil litigation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption