Does the executor over a will have to give a monthly accounting of the money?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Does the executor over a will have to give a monthly accounting of the money?

Live in Idaho. Have a brother-in-law who is over mother-in-law’s estate. Asked for a statement and refuses, says he does not have to answer to anyone and is in his legal right. I believe he is not providing a statement because he is taking money from the estate. Can we by law force him to release a monthly statement?

Asked on November 10, 2017 under Estate Planning, Idaho


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You may need to hire your own lawyer to send a letter to the Estate and demand an accounting.  If he does not comply then you need to file a request for same in the Probabe Court.  Do so soon becuase if he did not post a bond you will be chasing him for funds you think he stole.  Have him removed as well.  Here is a link.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption