Does the date my husband and I separated matter in the divorce documents?

UPDATED: Aug 2, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 2, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Does the date my husband and I separated matter in the divorce documents?

I have had a hard time dealing with my husband’s attorney, even though the divorce is uncontested. My husband left closer to 3 years ago but in the divorce documents he is putting a little over 2 1/2 years ago. Does this several month gap make a difference?

Asked on August 2, 2011 Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Please seek legal help here.  This question raises a big red flag for me and makes me kind of nervous for you.  The date of separation is one that the court will use to determine the separateness, so to speak , of your lives and will be the date certain to determine what is or is not marital property.  Some times parties do not want to out any date unless it is an official date like a dated, filed and served summons and complaint or a filed separation agreement.  I do not want you to be cheated out of anything.  As for why he has changed the date, one would have to read the document to see what it says.  I do not think tat the matter of a few months could matter but then again, without reading it no additional guidance can be given.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption