Does the 3 year statue of limitation apply to my case??

UPDATED: Apr 13, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Does the 3 year statue of limitation apply to my case??

I was in a car accident in June of 05 in Maryland but lived in Pennsylvania. I was uninsured and didn’t have a license. In April of 09 the insurance company is coming after me for the damage they paid to repair their clients car. Does the 3 year statue of limitation still apply even though I was negligent in not have a license and insurance?

Asked on April 13, 2009 under Accident Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

If Maryland had a X year statute of limitations, as the accident occurred in Maryland, and they sue you in Maryland, the X years would apply, not the 3 year statute of limitations if that is what Pennsylvania has.

In some cases, being absent from a state can extend the statute of limitations.

If what you are asking is does the fact that you had no license and no insurance give you any benefit in terms of a shorter statute of limitations than would otherwise apply in a civil case? The answer is heck no.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption