Does probation effect me from moving out whenI turn 18?

UPDATED: Sep 6, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 6, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Does probation effect me from moving out whenI turn 18?

I got put on probation 6 months ago from a shoplifting charge. The probation is a year long. I turn 18 in a month and was wondering if this probation will stop me from moving out? I finished everything that the court ordered me to do and the judge said that if I don’t do anything bad until my probation is up then I get the charge expunged.

Asked on September 6, 2011 under Criminal Law, Alaska


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you are planning on moving from where you are currently living when you turn eighteen (18), you need to advise your probation officer of this fact and advise him or her of where you will be living once the move is completed. I would make sure this is done in writing so that there is no misunderstanding as to where you will be living.

I would also read carefully the terms of your probation to make sure you are allowed to move while you are on probation. Most likely there is no prohibition aginst you moving so long as you remain in the same county as you presently are.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption