If my husband and I filled for a Chapter 13 bankruptcy, wouldthe back child support that he owes count as debt?

UPDATED: Jun 1, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 1, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my husband and I filled for a Chapter 13 bankruptcy, wouldthe back child support that he owes count as debt?

And is there a minimum amount you must meet in order to file for a Chapter 13?

Asked on June 1, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

1) Back child support is debt. However, it is not dischargeable in bankruptcy--that is, bankruptcy will not eliminate or reduce it. This was a deliberate choice made by Congress in enacting the bankruptcy laws, since Congress wanted to make sure that children are supported. If most of the debt is child support, alimony, taxes, or the result of DUI/DWI (these are are typically non-dischargeable categories), Chapter 13 will not help. It is also of only limited help with mortgages, if you want to keep the property.

2) There is no minimum for Chapter 13, but there is a maximum:you can't have more than around $360,000 in unsecured debts or $1mm in secured debts. Unsecured debts are things like credit card debt, medical debts, etc.; secured debts include mortgages and the typical car loan. There are also a few more eligiblilty requirements; below, I've attached a link to a helpful government website for you.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption