Does my university owe me some reimbursement for requiring me to take the wrong classes?

UPDATED: Aug 1, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 1, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Does my university owe me some reimbursement for requiring me to take the wrong classes?

I recently graduated from an accredited university in NJ with a masters in education (Early Childhood education and a concentration in Curriculum Development). The department of education states that candidates who have majored in curriculum development are eligible to pay and apply for a supervisory certificate. However none of the courses I was required to take meet the Dept.of Ed. requirements in curriculum development. 3 years I started my degree then the university has added the required courses.

Asked on August 1, 2011 New Jersey


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Humm.  I certainly think that this issue is worth looking in to.  Did the school say that their program was accredited? I think that you can prove that they knew or "should have known" that the classes they offered would not get you the certificate you sought.  You relied on their expertise in the area of education.  Seek some legal consultation on the matter.  There definitely needs to be some form of compensation given you.  Perhaps going to the classes now without a cost to you?  Or would you prefer to be reimbursed?  You have lost a significant amount of time and that should be compensated as well.  Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption