Does my school have any legal right to recordings I make using their equipment?

UPDATED: Mar 12, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 12, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Does my school have any legal right to recordings I make using their equipment?

At the start of a music production course I am taking I was informed that anything recorded as a part of the class couldn’t be sold, as it was recorded on the schools equipment and therefore was owned by the school, and that this applied to recordings made outside of the class as well. The student handbook makes no mention of this, and I haven’t made any other agreement regarding recordings with the school. I have, prior to this class, recorded original songs with the schools equipment and my own. Does the school have any ownership of these recordings, or of future ones?

Asked on March 12, 2012 under Business Law, California


Hong Shen / Roberts Law Group

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Sounds like you were informed at the beginning of the class and fully aware of the school policy, whether in the handbook or not. Anything you produced using school equipments will belong to the school.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption