does my manager have to file a police report after firing me?

UPDATED: May 15, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 15, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

does my manager have to file a police report after firing me?

My boss fired me because there was an error on the register. Now will not return my phone calls and is giving me bad references on my job apps

Asked on May 15, 2009 under Employment Labor Law, Michigan


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I don't know Michigan's laws in detail, I'm not licensed to practice in your state.  But I've never heard of any state requiring a police report from an employer for firing someone.

The bad references is a different question. In most states, you ex-boss has some legal protection, to answer call for references from people you're trying to get hired by, as long as he doesn't say anything knowingly false or with reckless disregard for the truth.  Without some proof of exactly what he might be telling them, after you had a cash register issue, it's hard to see anything you could do.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption