Does my husband have to support me financially if I am too sick to work?

UPDATED: Jul 24, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 24, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Does my husband have to support me financially if I am too sick to work?

I have been married for 25 years I have a chronic illness my husband begged me not to work.And said he would take care of me financially for the rest of my life. Throughout the 20 years I have not worked; I offered to work my husband said I will always take care of you financially. He has a job he does not like and said the other day if I was working he would not have taken that job. He constantly complains about money. I am still sick. If we divorce will he have to pay me alimony? We have no children

Asked on July 24, 2012 under Family Law, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Given the facts that you have written about where you have a twenty-five (25) marriage and are too ill to work (assuming you have medical records to support such) there is a very good chance that if you and your spouse divorce, the court will order a period of time where you are entitled to receive spousal support (alimony) payments from him.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption