Does my husband have the right to withhold my personal belongings from me if I leave before I can move my them?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Does my husband have the right to withhold my personal belongings from me if I leave before I can move my them?

My husband has threatened to change locks and withhold personal belongings such as furniture and other household items from me. He has as

threatened to release my pets outdoors.

Asked on April 4, 2017 under Family Law, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Please, please, please go and see an attorney and strike first, so to speak.  But THE most important thing here is keeping yourself safe.  Find a suitable shelter for you and the pets and go.  In order to legally change the locks he has to be granted exclusive of the house by either a court order or agreement but he doesn't sound like the type of person who cares about this. Make yourself safe and seek legal help.  Do not challenge him on your own.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption