Can my-ex legally make me move out of the house?

UPDATED: Dec 7, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 7, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my-ex legally make me move out of the house?

The house is my house on the separation agreement, my-ex supposed to be take his name off deed after we got divorce. But he never done. He has been helping me to pay this mortgage, and now he try to put me out the house. We got loan from VA last year. And he told me front of police and gave me 30days to move out notice last week. Is this really effect to me to get kick out? Do I have any legal right or not?

Asked on December 7, 2011 under Family Law, Alabama


Kelly Broadbent / Broadbent & Taylor

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You may want to file a contempt in the family court.  If the divorce order states that you own the house, and he has failed to remove himself from the deed, he is in contempt of the court order.  

With a 30 day notice, in MA, if you do not move out, he would be required to file a complaint in the housing court.  You could fight the proposed eviction by showing the judge certified copies of the divorce agreement or judgment indicating that you in fact own the house.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption