Does ex-employer still have to pay me my vehicle allowance?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Does ex-employer still have to pay me my vehicle allowance?

A part of the reason I took this job just over 5 months ago, was that I would be receiving a $400 vehicle allowance each. After not receiving it for months, I brought it to their attention 2 weeks ago. They said there was a paperwork screw up and it would be fixed. Then today I was fired because

Asked on September 29, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Nebraska


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Yes, if they had agreed to pay you the vehice allowance, they are still obligated to pay it even if you have been terminated. Their agreement to pay you the allowance if you did the work and/or used your vehicle was a contract (even if an oral, or unwritten, one); if you did what you were supposed to do (did the work, did the travel, used your vehicle, etc.) they are then contractually obligated to pay you. If they do not, you could sue them (e.g. in small claims court, as your own attorney or "pro se") for "breach of contract" (for violating their contractual obligations) for the money.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption