Does my employer have the right to not adjust my work schedule if I am attending college?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Does my employer have the right to not adjust my work schedule if I am attending college?

I am attending college to get my masters degree. I started earning this degree

before I started working for this employer. I was working in a position that was

not in conflict with my schooling schedule but that is no longer the case. I now work in a position that works 6 to 7 days a week. I requested to have at least 1 day off to focus on term papers but was told no. Is this legal?

Asked on March 10, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Tennessee


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Unless this action violates company policy or the terms of an employment contract or union agreement, or it constitutes legal discrimination, there really isn't anything that you can do. The fact is that most employment relationships ar "at will". This means that a company can set the conditions of work much as it sees fit. This includes who to schedule to work and when. Unfortunately your only recourse here is to comply, complain (and risk termination) or quit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption