Does my deadbeat business partner have a claim to my domain?

UPDATED: May 27, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 27, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Does my deadbeat business partner have a claim to my domain?

I discussed doing an internet business with a friend. I found a domain, registered it under my name and paid for it ($1000). He later compensated me for half the cost. Since then he has proven to be impossible to work with, missing meetings, providing no input, failing to pay his business expenses, and acting erratically, making threats. I don’t wish to work with him anymore, and he claims he has right to claim the domain as his own. We have no formal written documentation regarding our working relationship. Does he have a claim?

Asked on May 27, 2009 under Business Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Although you have no formal written agreement, you did enter in to a business relationship with your friend and some form of verbal agreement on the business.  If he has become too difficult to deal with and you are intent on keeping the domain name, it may be time to seek out a lawyer to put in to writing some form of agreement to terminate any rights he may claim.  You may need to provide him with some compensation to be rid of him completely.   You need to weigh all the issues here - financial and otherwise.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption