Does my daughter have a right to get nude pictures/videos removed from the internet if they were taken when she was 16?

UPDATED: Dec 5, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 5, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Does my daughter have a right to get nude pictures/videos removed from the internet if they were taken when she was 16?

My daughter made a huge mistake when she was 16 and intoxicated; she got nude on an online webcam public website. She is now 19 and her fiance and her are getting anonymous, harassing messages on Facebook regarding the incident with attachments to the pictures. She is now very depressed and in a downward spiral. Does she have a right or a way to get those pictures removed from the internet because she was underage at the time? If so, is it possible that she’ll get in trouble for distribution even if she was intoxicated and underage?

Asked on December 5, 2011 under Criminal Law, Washington


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Good question. If the nude photographs of your daughter which are on the internet depict her as a minor when taken, there is a very good chance that the sites which are potraying the photographs can be forced to remove these photographs on their own in that the photographs could be deemed by law enforcement as "child pornography".

I suggest that the best way to start getting these photographs removed from these internet web sites is to retain a personal injury attorney about the situation where he or she can contact the sites setting forth your daughter's desire to get these photographs removed from the public domain. I would also contact law enforcement as well. It does not matter that your daughter is now an adult. The photos depicting her are when she was a minor.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption