Does having a conviction in a foreign country jeopardize a person’s green card?

UPDATED: Jan 14, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 14, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Does having a conviction in a foreign country jeopardize a person’s green card?

A relative of mine got convicted in his native country for being in possession of a tampered foreign passport (non-US). Would this be considered a “Crime of Moral Turpitude” that can cause him to lose his green card? He only had to pay a fine, no jail time. And he got a new passport from his country. Should he notify the US Immigration that he was convicted of a crime overseas?

Asked on January 14, 2012 under Immigration Law, Florida


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Yes, he needs to disclose any and all prior arrests and convictions.  As far as whether this might affect his getting a US citizenship or losing an already approved green card will really depend on the type of crime and for that, it is best to consult with an attorney who is familiar with the other country's criminal laws.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption