Does contents of an inherited house include cash found in the house?

UPDATED: Feb 15, 2019

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 15, 2019Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Does contents of an inherited house include cash found in the house?

A friend passed away and left me her house I quote,

Asked on February 15, 2019 under Estate Planning, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Cash in a house would be the contents of the house and you would be entitled to it, unless there is a more specific provision (one referring specifically to money or cash, which is more specific than "contents") would contradicts it, in which case the more-specific provision controls. (That's a general legal principle: the more-specific overrides the more-general.) So if there is some other provision stating something to the effect of "I leave all my money, whether in bank accounts or otherwise located, to John Doe," then John Doe gets the cash, since "money" is more specific to cash than is "contents." But if there is no superceding more specific provision, the cash, as someting found in a home (and thus among the "contents" of it) goes to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption