Is there a law that allows a consumer to return a vehicle within 72 hours of purchase if it has not met their expectations?

UPDATED: Jan 9, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 9, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there a law that allows a consumer to return a vehicle within 72 hours of purchase if it has not met their expectations?

Asked on January 9, 2012 under General Practice, Arizona


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately no state has any law allowing a consumer to return a vehicle purchased (new or used) to the seller without recourse within three (3) days of purchase if the vehicle has not met expectations. Under the law, once a person signs a car purchase agreement and drives the vehicle off the lot, the buyer cannot voluntarily return the car to the dealership and expect the dealership to accept it back in return for the purchase price.

The only three (3) day cancellation period per state and federal statute would apply to consumer loans for a home or certain contracts where the consumer is contacted first by a vendor to purchase something at home.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption