Does a sexual assault conviction automatically make you register as sex offender?ea

UPDATED: Nov 5, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Does a sexual assault conviction automatically make you register as sex offender?ea

My 18 year old son touched a 16 year old girl’s breast without consent.

Asked on November 5, 2011 under Criminal Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Depending upon the state that one resides in and the specific charge that one is convicted of a given sexual assault conviction will warrant one convicted of such a charge as a registered sex offender.

If your son has yet to be convicted of the criminal charge that you are writing about, I recommend that you retain a very experienced criminal defense attorney to represent him with respect to the charge he is facing. Given the sexual nature of the charge, there is a lot riding on what the final result is.

Good luck to you and him.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption