Does a person have to provide insurance info if a police report was not made?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Does a person have to provide insurance info if a police report was not made?

Our company vehicle was involved in minor crash. The police were not called due to no personal injury at the time and minor damage done to a front bumper. The other driver was a minor, age 17, with a limited provisional license. Pictures were taken on the damaged work truck and contact information was given name,

address, picture of drivers license and tag, and parents contact information. The driver did not have his insurance card or the insurance information. I contacted the drivers father and he stated insurance would not be provided because a police report was not taken and that his child was a minor. Now what do I do?

Asked on June 6, 2019 under Accident Law, North Carolina


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Insurance is required and must be provided. 
You can sue the registered owner of the vehicle (probably the father) for negligence and also name the driver in the lawsuit. Your damages (monetary compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit) would be the property damage (cost of repairs) to your vehicle). Upon prevailing in the case, you can also recover court costs which include the court filing fee and process server fee. You can file the lawsuit in small claims court.
Another alternative is to file an uninsured motorist claim through your insurance company for the property damage to your vehicle. Your insurance company will contact the parent (registered owner of the vehicle) and threaten to sue if there is no insurance and to have the owner's license suspended by notifying the DMV .

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption