Does a landlord need to notify tenants of an apartment building that a registered sex offender is moving in?

UPDATED: Aug 8, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Does a landlord need to notify tenants of an apartment building that a registered sex offender is moving in?

Asked on August 8, 2011 Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Unless the written lease agreement between the landlord and the tenant requires a disclosure by the landlord that a registered sex offender is moving into the complex, the landlord does not need to advise existing tenants that the new tenant is a registered sex offender who is moving in.

However, with respect to potential new tenants who are interested in a unit in the complex to rent, the landlord is under an affirmative obligation to disclose all items with the particular unit and complex that he owns that could materially affect one's desire to rent an apartment. This would include the fact that one of the existing tenants is a registered sex offender.

If the landlord fails to disclose this information to potential new tenants about an existing tenant who is a registered sex offender before the lease is signed, the tenants sign the lease and then move in, they would be within their rights under the law to cancel their lease and move out without any recourse.

Good question.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption