does a landlord have the right to evict if you refuse to throw away your furniture due to bed bugs that were there before u moved in

UPDATED: May 10, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

does a landlord have the right to evict if you refuse to throw away your furniture due to bed bugs that were there before u moved in

moved in 3/20/09 was informed 5/6/09 to throw out my furniture due to infestation of bed bugs. If I refuse they will kick me out. I never had bed bugs till I moved here is it fair to punish me and demand me to throw out all my furniture and not replace or be willing to pay damages. the bed bugs came from a nasty apt that was evicted after i moved in

Asked on May 10, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Tennessee


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

First of all, you have to prove that the bed bugs were from your apt and not from your furniture or you.  In other words, your landlord has to protect the health and safety of other tenants, and hygene issues are among them, including preventing bed bugs. 

In terms of you, if your apt was the source, then that is a habitability issue.  Meaning, your apt must be habitable.  If you have such an infestation, and you truly believe and can prove it is not you but the apt , then you should call the health dept.  Your landlord cannot kick you out, but the health dept may require your furniture to be replaced.  In terms of who pays, if it is your landlord's fault, he must pay. 

If you are scared to call, contact legal aid or a private atty in your state to determine your next steps.  Try for a private lawyer or Tennessee legal aid.  also try your local councilperson to see if there is a dept within Tennessee that handles landlord tenant issues.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption