Does a husband of 18yrs have a right to deny his wife any money

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Does a husband of 18yrs have a right to deny his wife any money

Husband is in the military and
wife stayed home to raise the
child and take care of the
house he has become mentally
abusive and he threatens to
take away the child he has
changed bank accounts and only
his name on them he has taken
all money for anything away
says it’s his and he will give
it when he feels like it. Can
he legally do that?

Asked on July 8, 2016 under Family Law, Oregon


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Either party to a marriage can dispose, spend, or otherwise shift funds around during a marriage.  This can continue until a court says otherwise.  Threats to cut off funds and control assets is a common technique for abusers.  To obtain some security in this situation and get away from an abuser, you need to file a petition for divorce and then ask the court to require your husband to pay you support.  If he is ordered by the court to either secure or pay funds, then he will be accountable to the court for his failure to do so... and potentially subject to a contempt action.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption