Does a grandmother have the right to drop charges against her grandson for taking her ring?

UPDATED: Jan 26, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 26, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Does a grandmother have the right to drop charges against her grandson for taking her ring?

Asked on January 26, 2012 under Criminal Law, Connecticut


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

In our criminal court system, once a criminal complaint has been filed by the district attorney's office against someone, the decision in the end to either pursue the case or dismiss it lies with the district attorney's office and not the victim of the crime. The rationale is that the district attorney's office owes an obligation to the people of the state where the criminal matter was filed to protect the people from crime.

In the situation that you have written about, the grandmother could request that the criminal charges against her grandson for taking a ring be dropped but she has no right to dismiss the criminal complaint resulting from the ring's taking.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption