Does a form have to be filed in court asking to ask for a court appointed lawyer?

UPDATED: Apr 2, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Does a form have to be filed in court asking to ask for a court appointed lawyer?

If form is required, what is form?

Asked on April 2, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You can only get a court appointed lawyer in a criminal case. And bankruptcy is a civil matter.  You might be able to get help from Legal Aid.  You can also contact your county's bar association and see if they have a list of attorneys that would take such a case "pro bono" (i.e. for free).  Finally, check if there is a law school nearby to where you live because they run free legal clinics that might handle such a matter.  Here is a site that you may also find to be of help:  

Additionally, you can represent yourself (i.e. you do not need an attorney).  This can get a little complicated however.  Go to this site for further information:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption