Does a filed “Stipulation” take precedence overover a filed “Complaint to Quiet Title”?

UPDATED: Oct 20, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 20, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Does a filed “Stipulation” take precedence overover a filed “Complaint to Quiet Title”?

A neighboring property owner is asking me to sign 2 documents: 1) Complaint to Quiet Title (where it states the full legals have been in their complete control), and 2) Stipulation – the language states that I have adverse possession of a strip of land on my side of the road. Before I sign, which document ultimately “rules”?

Asked on October 20, 2010 under Real Estate Law, Colorado


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Do not sign either document until an attorney looks at them for you.  First of all, why would you be signing a Complaint to Quiet Title?  Are YOU bringing the action to quiet title as to the piece of land?  The two documents are not necessarily mutually exclusive and without reading them both together here one could give you the wrong impression of what is the right way to proceed.  Generally speaking a stipulation (and i am assuming that it is a stipulation of settlement as to the action to quiet title) would settle the matters in the complaint to quiet title.  But again, I do not know without looking at the documents if this is true.  Get help.  And DON'T sign.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption