What are my rights if my doctor wants to stop my pain medications but I still have chronic pain?

UPDATED: Jan 5, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 5, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights if my doctor wants to stop my pain medications but I still have chronic pain?

I have been taking meds for 5 years; they still relieve pain just not long enough. Now all the sudden he wants to stop prescribing them for me.

Asked on January 5, 2014 under Malpractice Law, Arizona


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Why does the doctor want to stop prescribing your medication?  Does the doctor want to prescribe an alternative medication?

The fact that the doctor stopped prescribing your medication does NOT constitute medical malpractice without additional information.

Medical malpractice is negligence.  Negligence is the failure to exercise due care (that degree of care that a reasonable medical practitioner in the community would have exercised under the same or similar circumstances).

After asking your doctor why the doctor won't continue to prescribe your medication, if you are dissatisfied with the reason, it would be advisable to obtain the opinion of a second doctor, who can review your medical records and determine whether or not the first doctor's decision was that of a reasonable medical practitioner or whether it constituted malpractice. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption