If my doctor prescribed a medication which led to a hospital stay,can I sue?

UPDATED: Apr 21, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my doctor prescribed a medication which led to a hospital stay,can I sue?

I was prescribed a medication for the flu 3 years ago. This was after having a history of thyroid gland problems. Before being prescribed , I had half of my thyroid removed. My doctor was aware of this and still prescribed the medication which lead to an excruciating 10 day hospital stay. Do I have any legal recourse in order to receive some sort of compensation?

Asked on April 21, 2011 under Malpractice Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The first issue is whether the doctor was negligent, or unreasonably careless, in prescribing this medication. It's not enough that he knew you had half your thyroid removed; the question is, should he have known, based on the information about this medicine that it could cause a bad reaction. If there was no way toreasonably predict or know, there may be no fault and no liablity.

Also, it must be that the prescription did in fact cause your condition; that means you must be able to prove it.

Third, it may be too late (3 years) to sue; it appears that the medical malpractice statute of limitatios, or time to sue, in Michigan is only 2 years.

Finally, it's not clear that a 10-day hospital stay would provide grounds for enough recovery (money) to make an expensive malpractice suit (you need experts, tests, a lawyer, etc.) worth it.

It's probably worth a consultation with a malpractice attorney, especially if find one who'll give a free initial consultation; but be aware that a claim faces significant obstacles.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption